Why is this not a Super Bowl spot? Insurance company GEICO has teamed up with Tag Team for a new commercial. And for obvious reasons, like the Reel 360 team can’t stop watching it, is our Reel Ad of the Week.
The spot, part of the company’s “What Are You Waiting For?,” campaign features a woman named Tasha (Nicci Carr) in her kitchen, preparing dessert for her guests.
An announcer informs Tasha that GEICO could save her hundreds on car insurance and a whole lot more and soon finds herself with the old school hip hop duo, Tag Team. If you don’t know Cecil Glenn (DC the Brain Supreme) and Steve Gibson (Steve Rolln), they are best known for their 1993 multiplatinum single, Whoomp! (There It Is), which has been featured in a number of advertisements, films, and TV shows.
In the early 1990s, Tag Team broke stereotypes about the hip-hop genre by demonstrating that there was more to hip-hop than inflammatory lyrics. The success of “Whoomp! (There It Is)” represented a milestone in the history of hip-hop because it has been enjoyed by culturally and generationally diverse audiences.
Anyhoo, back to the spot, Equipped with ice cream scoops, Cecil and Steve are seen putting ice cream in bowls while singing a new version of their hit.
“French vanilla, rocky road, chocolate, peanut butter, cookie dough. Scoop, there it is”, the duo are singing. They also perform the famous “Shaka-laka-shaka-laka-shaka-laka” part, making Tasha and her husband relive the ’90s spirit and bust some dance moves.
Their teen daughter, though, who witnesses the “events” for a few seconds, decides to “escape” the performance. Watch below, directed by Hungry Man’s Dan Opsal:
The spot is wonderfully fun and re-watchable. The Martin Agency, who has done amazing work for their longtime client, really knocked it out of the park with this one.
All the 360 Team can say is, “Shaka-laka-shaka-laka-shaka-laka.”
- Vice President, Marketing: Joe Pusateri
- Assistant Vice President, Marketing: Amy Furman
- Director, Marketing: Gary Aurand
- Senior Manager, Marketing: Tom Perlozzo
- Supervisor II, Marketing: Tim Ware
- Program Lead II, Marketing: Olivia Ashby
- Program Lead I, Marketing: Brighid Griffin
- Program Lead I, Marketing: Rese Chorpening
- Brand Team Planner, Marketing: Allison Eckert
AGENCY: The Martin Agency
- Chief Executive Officer: Kristen Cavallo
- Chief Creative Officer: Danny Robinson
- SVP, Executive Creative Director: Ashley Marshall
- SVP, Group Creative Director: Neel Williams
- SVP, Creative Director: Justin Harris
- SVP, Creative Director: Sean Riley
- Copywriter: Roger Hailes
- EVP, Head of Production: Tasha Dean
- Executive Producer: Heather Collier
- Senior Producer: Brian Fox
- Senior Business Affairs Supervisor: Suzanne Wieringo
- Senior Financial Affairs Manager: Amy Trenz
- Financial Account Supervisor: Monica Cox
- VP, Planning Director: Lauren Prociv
- Strategic Planner: Lauren Embrey
- SVP, Group Account Director: Matt Mattox
- Account Director: Jon Glomb
- Account Supervisor: Allie Waller
- Account Executive: Juan Pelaez
- Senior Project Manager: Stephanie Ashworth
PRODUCTION COMPANY: Hungry Man
- Director: Dan Opsal
- Managing Partner: Kevin Byrne
- Managing Partner: Mino Jarjoura
- Executive Producer: Caleb Dewart
- Head of Production: Marian Harkness
- Producer: Buzzy Cancilla
EDIT: Cut + Run
- Editor: Frank Effron
- Associate Editor: Kelly Henson
- Executive Producer: Amburr Farls
- Producer: Brian Mulvey
VFX: The Mill
Executive Producer: Anastasia von Rahl
SOUND DESIGN/MIX: Rainmaker Studios
- Executive Producer: Kristin O’Connor
- Engineer: Mike O’Connor & Jeff McManus
MUSIC: Tiny Lion