Created by agency partner DCX Growth Accelerator and helmed by Director Tomi Dieguez (of 1stAveMachine Buenos Aires), a new campaign for the country’s oldest flour company, King Arthur Baking Company, spotlights real-life bakers making personal recipes alongside their families and loved ones from the comforts of their own kitchens.
The piece marks the company’s first campaign since its rebrand.
According to DCX Growth Accelerator Chief Strategy and Creative Officer Doug Cameron, “Even prior to COVID-19, our consumer research showed that baking was being used as a powerful form of self-care, a way to reduce stress and anxiety. But as 2020 has progressed, baking has become iconic for its therapeutic value. It’s meditative, unlocks creativity, and encourages sharing. We wanted this campaign to acknowledge what the majority of Americans are feeling — that things are not easy right now — while asserting that there is light at the end of the tunnel.”
“The narrative and visuals are elevated by the soulful “Rise Again”, an original song about finding perseverance during these uncertain times. “The idea was to bring a glimpse of unity and hope to the screen by portraying authentic, legitimate bakers with profound heritages behind their passion for turning dough into bread and pastry dishes,” says Dieguez.
Entitled “The Power of Baking, the spot, especially the song, aims to speak to individuals lifting their spirits through baking, as well as to the broader societal hope amongst Americans that we will rise together as a people. Have a look:
“With DCX and King Arthur Baking Company, there was no agency-side or client-side. We were all working on the same team. During our early conversations, we talked a lot about how we were going to cut stylish transitions between the different kitchens, but, as we got deeper into the artistic and technical processes, the authenticity of our characters just took over the scenes, and, at some point, we chose raw and powerful emotions over style. It felt more respectful to the stories we were telling and I just love the way everything came out,” Dieguez notes.
King Arthur Baking Company VP of Marketing Bill Tine adds, “The campaign demonstrates the power of baking to bring us together, which is at the heart of our company identity. As an employee-owned, B Corp, our mission is to inspire connections and community by spreading the joy of baking.”
The content will run across broadcast television, digital, and social media (Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest) mediums along with outdoor (Boston, Seattle, Austin, and Denver) and podcast promotions.
Following the campaign, a new line of products are slated to roll out during the fall season including Keto Wheat Flour Blend, Organic Rye Flour, ‘00’ Pizza Flour, Baking Sugar Alternative, and Single Serve (Confetti Cake and Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel).
AGENCY: DCX Growth Accelerator
- Chief Creative Officer: Doug Cameron
- Executive Creative Director: Tommy Noonan
- Art Director / Designer: Alistair Chew
- Copywriter: Chas Bayfield
- VP Strategy: Laurent Bouaziz
- Executive Producer: Aymi Beltramo
- Account Director: Ashley Bouldin
- Account Executive: Krysten Krulik
PRODUCTION COMPANY: 1stAveMachine
- Director: Thomas Dieguez
- Executive Producer: Peter Repplier
EDIT: Cabin Edit
- Editors: Randy Baublis
- Assistant Editor: Nick Deliberto
- Offline Producer: Katy Lester
- Offline Executive Producer: Adam Becht
- Offline Partner/ Executive Producer: Carr Schilling
VFX: Shape + Light
VFX Executive Producer: Cara Lehr
VFX Senior Producer: Arielle Weir
Creative Director/Senior Flame Artist: Rob Trent
Flame Assistant: Austin Lewis
Color: CO3 LA
- Colorist: Stefan Sonnenfeld
- Color Producer: Matt Moran
- Color Executive Producer: Ashley McKim
Mix Company: Lime Studios
- Re-recording Mixer: Matt Miller
- Assistant Mixer: Ian Connie
- Mix Executive Producer: Susie Boyajan
- Music Producer: Patrick Oliver (Pretty Good Songs)
- Song Written and Produced by: Alana Da Fonseca and Bobby Studley
- Song Performed by: Ashley Nguyen DeWitt
- Song: “Rise Again”