Last season, like the NBA, the NHL played a partial season in a bubble. So, here we have a case of art imitating life as a new campaign from Dunkin’ and their creative partner BBDO also takes place in a bubble… an ice hockey arcade bubble.
If you’ve ever wondered what NHL superstars David Pastrňák of the Boston Bruins and T.J. Oshie of the Washington Capitals would look like as bubble hockey arcade figurines, this new campaign has the answer!
Breaking yesterday during NBC’s NHL broadcast, here’s a look at the “Inside the Bubble with Dunkin’”campaign. The Dunkin’ Cold Brew ad takes you onto the surface of the classic bubble hockey arcade game with Pastrňák and Oshie, highlighting some of the hilarious predicaments unique to the nostalgic game.
Notable is that this is Dunkin’s first-ever stop-motion work.
Both featured players also tweeted a tease of the ads last week.
BBDO New York developed the cutting edge campaign with production partners at Hornet who went to great lengths to make the players come to life, a creative alternative to getting the players together during quarantine.
For example, the design teams developed nearly two dozen different, hand-painted heads for both Pastrňák and Oshie to bring their personal characteristics and facial expressions to life.
With each frame taking approximately 6-8 hours to film to tell the story in a realistic way.
Like Dunkin’s Cold Brew, the spot is very chill.
- Sr. Brand Manager: Corie McNeil
- Associate Manager: Briana Appel
AGENCY: BBDO NY
- Chief Creative Officer, Worldwide: David Lubars
- Executive Creative Director: Doug Fallon
- Executive Creative Director: Steven Fogel
- Creative Director: Talon Gustafson
- Creative Director: Brian Pinkley
- EVP, Group Executive Producer: Diane Hill
- Senior Producer: Mike Woodall
- Senior Music Producer: Julia Millison
- Music Production Intern: Katie Theobalds
- EVP, Senior Director: Jim Santora
- VP, Account Director: Carrie White
- Account Executive: Griffin Heller
- Assistant Account Executive: Sydney Doerge
- VP, Group Planning Director: Marc Allen
PRODUCTION COMPANY: Hornet
- Director Name: Peter Sluszka
- Managing Director: Hana Shimizu
- Head of Production: Karen Lawler
- Head of Creative Development: Kristin Labriola
- Production Supervisor: Dez Stavracos
- Producer: Trever Stewart
- Associate Producer: Riley Spencer
- Senior Editor: Anita Chao
- Assistant Editor: Minseok Kim
- Production Coordinator: Lotty Vigue
- Storyboard Artist: Sean Lattrell
- Character Designer: Cat Rao
- Design Exploration: Jennifer Ely
- Design Intern: Tyler West
- Line Producer: Joel Kretschman
- Director of Photography: Ivan Abel
- VFX Supervisor: John Harrison
- Motion Control Operator: Richard Coppola
- Gaffer: Michael Yetter
- BB Electric: Chris Clarke
- Key Grip: Balz Beillmann
- BB Grip: Adam Lukens, Steven Ploe
- Art Director Tim McDonald
- Fabricators: Peter Erickson, Maxwell Sorensen, Mikail Ekiz, Illya Smelansky, Camille Labarre, David Assel, Ben Kress, Nico Benenati, Argon Props
- Animators: Mikail Ekiz, Matt Somma, Maxwell Sorensen
- Food Stylist: Sandra White
- Food Stylist Asst.: Dilara Orer
- Safety Officer: Robert Berman
- Cleaning Tech: Gerardo Ruiz
- Production Assistant: Koren Harpaz
- Lead Compositor: John Harrison
- Compositor: Guilherme Ferreirinha, Xiaoxiao Tan, Ted Wiggin
- Color: Honest Labor Color
- Colorist: Shawn King
- Color Producer: Alex Rochinski
- Audio Post-Production: Sound Lounge
- Audio Mixer: Rob DiFondi
- Sound Designer: Marshall Grupp
- Senior Producer: Lauren Mullen
- Manufacturing Partner: Home Arcade Games