The infinite dimensions of Rick and Morty, and sister Summer, meet the infinite dimensions of Pringles flavor stacking in the brand’s 2020 Super Bowl spot. The campaign was a co-creation from Grey, New York and Adult Swim.
Here’s how it goes down – a Pringles robot disguised as Morty – appears overly enthusiastic about the Spicy Barbecue Pizza stack, made using Pringles Pizza, Barbeque and Jalapeno crisps. Rick immediately catches on to his grandson’s bizarrely out-of-character corporate jargon, unmasks the Mortybot and comes to the startling realization that they’re trapped inside a Pringles commercial.
“With alternate universes taking a front seat in pop culture with television and movies, we love how ahead of trend Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland were when developing the concept for the show,” said Gareth Maguire, senior director of marketing for Pringles. “The Pringles brand aims to do the same with flavor development and product innovations. As a result, when identifying a partner for our ad campaign this year, their forward-thinking attitude combined with the show’s popularity and younger audience made this partnership a natural fit.”
“Rick and Morty is the biggest comedy show around, so of course we were extremely excited about their first trip to the Big Game,” added Jill King, senior vice president, marketing and partnerships, Adult Swim. “With Pringles’ fun personality and devoted audience, there’s no better partner for Rick and Morty’s big debut. There are a lot of Rick and Morty fans out there, and they’re all going to go crazy when they see it, but it’s going to be so fun sharing it with an even wider audience, who we are confident will love it too!”
The 30-second spot will air during the second quarter of the game. The ad will be supported by a fully integrated marketing campaign including PR, digital, social media, e-commerce and a special, Pringles Pickle Rick edition that fans can find on store shelves beginning in early February.
- CHIEF CREATIVE OFFICER: John Patroulis
- DEPUTY CHIEF CREATIVE OFFICER: Jeff Stamp
- GCD / ART DIRECTOR: Leo Barbosa
- GCD / WRITER: Cuanan Cronwright
- SENIOR WRITER: Tan Erginay
- ACD / ART DIRECTOR: Robert Jencks
- ART DIRECTOR: Shannon Smith
- WRITER: Dan Greener
- EVP, GLOBAL ACCOUNT DIRECTOR: Brian Weston
- SVP, ACCOUNT DIRECTOR: Nicole Nazarenus
- ACCOUNT SUPERVISOR: Amanda Lederman
- ASSISTANT ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE: Charly Stamps
- EXECUTIVE STRATEGY DIRECTOR: Howard Roberts
- SENIOR PLANNER: Nicolas Pilaprat
- CONTENT ARCHITECT: Andrew Pattee
- PROJECT MANAGER: Grace Juster
SOURCE: Grey, New York