Well, these spots were definitely not shot on iPhone. Framestore and Framestore Pictures worked alongside creative agency MONO on the campaign’s two new spots, ‘Journey‘ and ‘Strokes of Genius.’ With the live shoot elements wrapping safely just days before the COVID-19 lockdown, post-production for the VFX-heavy campaign was successfully completed entirely under the work from home order with added layers of logistical consideration.
In ‘Journey,’ the story of a suburban house transported to a beautiful, remote location is told in two parts — the first of which captures a single room within the home, slowly evolving thanks to a new coat of paint.
Combining carefully considered lighting and a custom set design, inclusive of a “moving” living room, the home comes to life through shaking and dizzying spin effects (the actors were required to balance as the set shifted, adding even more authenticity to their performance). Shot in Cape Town, the second part of the story shows the home’s journey in an abstract way, switching locations through observational glimpses. Watch below:
Subscribe: Sign up for our FREE e-lert here. Stay on top of the latest advertising, film, TV, entertainment and production news!
ALSO READ: Framestore looks virtually for new VFX talent
The Framestore team rebuilt a fully rendered CG house based precisely on the to-scale model used in the first portion as a reference point, ensuring complete accuracy throughout the process.
“It was important for us to show the home’s progress without seeming too literal,” said Framestore Pictures director and creative director, Murray Butler. “Creating animatics early in the process allowed for consistency in the vision, and working alongside MONO as a trusted partner throughout really helped us stay true to the goal of creating an aspirational, dreamy spot.”
It is dreamy.
- Group Creative Director : Dave Bullen
- Associate Creative Director : Adam Ridgeway
- Creative: Mallory Heyer
- Executive Producer : Kristoffer Knutson
PRODUCTION: Framestore Pictures
- Director – Murray Butler
- Executive Producer – Jennifer Siegel
- Head of Production – Anne Vega
- Line Producer – Laura Morris
- Director of Photography – Wyatt Garfield
- Production Designer – Ninon De Klerk
- Senior Producer – Jamie Hoskins Smith
- Associate Producer – Simon Jensen
- CG Supervisor – Jordan Carroll
- Compositing Supervisor – Karch Coon
- Flame Lead / Lead Compositor – Luca Pelegatta
- Compositor – Chris Beers
- Compositor – Joseph Taylor
- Compositor – Jon Rogala
- Compositor – Isaac Spiegel
- CG Generalist – Chingtien Chu
- CG FX – Anthony Morelle
- Animation – Sam Crees
- Colorist – Clark Griffiths
- VFX Editor – Serina Flores
- Digital Matte Painter – Marc Samson