The key to success is to smash from the heart. At least when you are fighting off supervillains. So says “Professor Hulk” in one of three short teaser films from leading-edge video game developers Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix to promote the new Marvel’s Avengers game. The companies have assembled an all-star team, led by BBH NY, as well as RSA Films’ Jordan Vogt-Roberts, the award-winning filmmaker behind the blockbuster Kong: Skull Island, to create the CG trailer campaign.
Featuring the iconic characters in an original and evolving Avengers storyline, the supporting global campaign showcases the Avengers trademark teamwork and wit, as well as what it feels like to play, for the first time, as Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.
To build excitement for the game, they haven’t created a genius master class. It’s so much more than that.
Welcome to Marvel’s “Superior Seminars.”
Here, gamers salivating at the opportunity to play the Hulk, Ms Marvel or Iron Man, are taught from the best before they try their own moves.
For instance, Hulk teaches how to smash eloquently.
Ms. Marvel teaches us about the values of teamwork, growing your heart and fists.
And finally Tony Stark (aka Iron Man) teaches audiences how to beam… in Stark style:
ALSO READ: Assemble as your fave ‘Avenger’ in new video game
“Marvel’s Avengers is a massive, ground-breaking game featuring the world’s most-popular Super Heroes,” said Shaun Escayg, creative director for Marvel’s Avengers at developer Crystal Dynamics. “BBH NY identified the creative team that would be required to bring these characters and new stories to life the way our game and the Avengers deserve.”
Creating During COVID-19
BBH NY assembled world-class talent to work in collaboration with the creative and marketing teams at Crystal Dynamics, Square Enix, and Marvel:
- RSA Films’ Jordan Vogt-Roberts, the award-winning filmmaker behind the blockbuster Kong: Skull Island, translated Crystal Dynamics’ unique take on Marvel’s Avengers’ iconic superheroes from the videogame to this fully CG animated trailer
- Storied VFX company Industrial Light & Magic brought their decades of experience with Marvel characters.
- Finally, the team at Skywalker Sound was enlisted to give the CG trailer their trademark cinematic sound design.
Although the whole team was physically spread apart due to Covid-19, the story inspired them to come together and make something truly memorable.
“We selected BBH NY because of their deep knowledge and love of gaming,” said John Heinecke, chief marketing officer, Square Enix. “They reminded us of how the Avengers are the perfect Super Heroes for this moment, bringing to life the value of teamwork and proving that no threat is too large when we fight as one.”
“This was a true team effort. In such a difficult time, the whole team had to rally together every day to give this game an Avengers-worthy launch. We couldn’t be more thrilled to have partnered with ILM and Jordan Vogt-Roberts, who brought an unmatched level of love, energy, and enthusiasm to this project. We are equally grateful to our clients at Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics for the opportunity,” said Jonathan Mackler, executive creative director, head of creative, BBH New York.
In the midst of a pandemic (a definite Avengers-like crisis), there couldn’t have been a better time for the Avengers, with a one-of-a-kind game underscoring the point that we’re stronger together.
The game debuts on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Stadia. Next-generation versions for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X are also planned for later this year.
Subscribe: Sign up for our FREE e-lert here. Stay on top of the latest advertising, film, TV, entertainment and production news!
Can. Not. Wait.
AGENCY: BBH NY
- CHIEF CREATIVE OFFICER: Rafael Rizuto
- EXECUTIVE CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Jonathan Mackler
- GROUP CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Lucas Bongioani
- CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Diego Fonseca
- CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Scott Cooney
- ASSOCIATE CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Hora Somani
- ASSOCIATE CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Bruno Francino
- SENIOR COPYWRITER: Ben Cascella
- DESIGNER: Lukas Weber
- HEAD OF PRODUCTION: Brooke Kaylor
- MANAGING PARTNER: L Parker Barnum
- GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR: Ali Cornford
- ACCOUNT SUPERVISOR: Dylan Roley
- ACCOUNT MANAGER: Becky Tanner
- HEAD OF PLANNING: Tom Callard
- STRATEGIST: Dylan Fauss
PRODUCTION COMPANY: RSA FILMS
- DIRECTOR: Jordan Vogt-Roberts
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Buddy Brakha
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Jordan Vogt-Roberts
- PRODUCER: Julien Lemaitre
- ASSOCIATE PRODUCER: Bryan Chojnowski
VFX: INDUSTRIAL LIGHT & MAGIC
- SENIOR PRODUCER: Katherine Farrar Bluff
- ASSOCIATE PRODUCER: Karen Kelly
- VFX PRODUCER: Jeff White
- ANIMATION SUPERVISOR: Scott Benza
- CG SUPERVISOR: Bruno Baron
- PRODUCTION MANAGER: Lauren Fong
- ASSOCIATE PRODUCTION: Nick Johnson
EDIT: MACKENZIE CUTLER
- EDITOR: Ian Mackenzie
- ASSISTANT EDITOR: Cooper McLane
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Gina Pagano
SOUND: SKYWALKER SOUND
- SOUND DESIGN: Al Nelson
- ADR: Gwendolyn Whittle
- AUDIO ENGINEER/MIX: Sound Pete Horner
SOUND: SOUND LOUNGE
AUDIO ENGINEER/RECORD: Rob Difondi
SOUND: GYPSY SOUND
SOUND DESIGN: William McGuigan
- IRON MAN: Nolan North
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: Jeff Schine
- KAMALA KHAN: Sandra Saad
MUSIC: Sizzer Music