Minneapolis has had quite the challenging year. First the city, like others, was crippled by the novel coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. Then it became the epicenter of the Black Lives Matter movement after George Floyd was brutally killed at the hands of four policemen. Before all of these events transpired, 3M had tapped BBDO Minneapolis earlier to create an activation for its Post-it Brand for the 2020 Twin Cities Pride Festival.
Undeterred by the timing the agency, led by ECD Tim Mattimore, did what it does best – flipped the script and got creative.
The agency put out a message of unity to be shared with the Twin Cities’ community. Using 7,500 Post-it® Super Sticky Notes, BBDO created a simple rainbow mural on a black Post-it® Super Sticky Note background reading “STRONGER TOGETHER.”
The mural was placed on a wall outside of famed music venue First Avenue; first made famous by Purple Rain, and now home to a newly minted star in honor of George Floyd.
A small 3M and Post-it Brand #ThinkLoud placard near the mural read “We stand united with our city and all who call it home.” Watch the BTS video below:
@FirstAvenue captured our thoughts, feelings and the intention of the Instagrammable mural so perfectly in a post shared with their followers:
“Despite losing parades and festivities to COVID-19, 2020 has been the best representation of Stonewall’s values that we’ve experienced in recent memory. First Avenue acknowledges that Black liberation will never be possible without uplifting and protecting Black transgender people and communities.”
The mural was up through Pride month.
CLIENT: Post-it® Brand
- Marketing Director: Heather Green, Global Business Director
- Brand Manager: Addriennne Hovland, Global Portfolio Leader
- Associate Brand Manager: Morris Goodwin & Michelle Seywerd
AGENCY: BBDO Minneapolis
- Executive Creative Director: Tim Mattimore
- Creative Director: Nathalia Resende
- Design Director: Ian McAllister
- Copywriter: Joanna Stubbins
- Creative Technologist: Justin Mueller
- Planning Director: Jessica Teigen
- Account Executive: Nora Kubiaczyk
PRODUCTION COMPANY: Street Factory Media
- Director: Mike Jones
- Executive Producer: Greta Omann
EDIT: Drive Thru
- Editor: Braden Doucette
- Finish: Drive Thru
- Color: Braden Doucette
SOURCE: BBDO, Minneapolis