The Writers Guild of America West (WGAW) and Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) have announced nominations for outstanding achievement in screenwriting during 2021. Winners will be honored at a joint 2022 Writers Guild Awards virtual ceremony on Sunday, March 20, 2022.
WRITERS GUILD ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
- Being the Ricardos, Written by Aaron Sorkin; Amazon Studios
- Don’t Look Up, Screenplay by Adam McKay, Story by Adam McKay & David Sirota; Netflix
- The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun, Screenplay by Wes Anderson, Story by Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola & Hugo Guinness & Jason Schwartzman;Searchlight Pictures
- King Richard, Written by Zach Baylin; Warner Bros. Pictures
- Licorice Pizza, Written by Paul Thomas Anderson; United Artists
WRITERS GUILD ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
- CODA, Screenplay by Siân Heder, Based on the Original Motion Picture La Famille Belier Directed by Eric Lartigau, Written by Victoria Bedos, Stanislas Carree de Malberg, Eric Lartigau and Thomas Bidegain; Apple
- Dune, Screenplay by Jon Spaihts and Denis Villeneuve and Eric Roth, Based on the novel Dune Written by Frank Herbert; Warner Bros. Pictures
- Nightmare Alley, Screenplay by Guillermo del Toro & Kim Morgan, Based on the Novel by William Lindsay Gresham; Searchlight Pictures
- tick, tick…BOOM!, Screenplay by Steven Levenson, Based on the play by Jonathan Larson; Netflix
- West Side Story, Screenplay by Tony Kushner, Based on the Stage Play, Book by Arthur Laurents, Music by Leonard Bernstein, Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, Play Conceived, Directed and Choreographed by Jerome Robbins; 20th Century Studios
WRITERS GUILD DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY
- Being Cousteau, Written by Mark Monroe & Pax Wasserman; National Geographic
- Exposing Muybridge, Written by Marc Shaffer; Inside Out Media
- Like a Rolling Stone: The Life & Times of Ben Fong-Torres, Written by Suzanne Joe Kai; StudioLA.TV
The Reel 360 Team found it interesting and surprising that Sony did not submit Spider-Man: No Way Home for Writers Guild consideration. Just because it was a blockbuster does not mean it did not have a screenplay worthy of a nomination. Even after Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture in 2019, there seems to still be a stigma against nominating superhero films for major awards.
As of this writing today, the Team is leaning toward Being The Ricardos, written by the Tom Brady of the WGA, Aaron Sorkin and Licorice Pizza, written by the Patrick Mahomes of the Guild Paul Thomas Anderson. In the adapted category, we would not be surprised to see Steven Levenson walk away with an award for tick, tick…BOOM! Although, we would be just as happy to see recognition for Jon Spaihts and Denis Villeneuve and Eric Roth for Dune.
The Writers Guild Awards honor outstanding writing in film, television, new media, news (broadcast and digital), radio/audio, and promotional categories. The 2022 Writers Guild Awards (74th Annual) will be held on Sunday, March 20, 2022.