Ever heard of Fleets? It was Twitter’s real-time video-sharing platform (a-la Instagram Stories, SnapChat etc.), and it went defunct yesterday, August 3rd. While most brands clamor to be the first on any new social platform, Snickers comedically became the last brand to ever use Fleets, just before it went extinct.
August 3rd also happens to be “Grab Some Nuts” Day. To celebrate, Snickers began running a series of Fleets on Monday (August 2nd) promoting a sweepstakes to win boxes of free Snickers that would launch the following afternoon. The only issue?
Fleets was deactivated a moment after the final Fleet was posted and the sweepstakes never actually went live…
Why would Snickers try to launch a campaign on a social platform that’s about to die? Their Social Media Manager was hungry and missed the memo.
The brand quickly made up for the snafu tweeting the promo instead and offering the free boxes to 20 followers who reply in the comments.
This playful brand stunt was conceived and pulled off with creative agency partner BBDO New York in partnership with Mars Wrigley’s Social Media & Digital Content Studio (The Hive) and builds on Snickers’ current campaign line, “Maybe you just need a Snickers” which reminds consumers that a satisfying Snickers bar can help sort them out when they’re not themselves.
- Mike Italia: Head of Social Media & Digital Content Studio for Mars Wrigley
- Alexis Cettina: Social Media Strategist
AGENCY: BBDO New York
- David Lubars: Chief Creative Officer, BBDO Worldwide
- Peter Kain: Executive Creative Director
- Gianfranco Arena: Executive Creative Director
- Kristin Clark: Associate Creative Director
- Matthew Low: Associate Creative Director
- Meredith Welborn: Junior Art Director
- Sabrina Rivera: Junior Copywriter
- Susannah Keller: EVP, Global Business Leader, Mars
- Lisa Piliguian: EVP, Senior Director
- Lindsey Mawhee: VP, Account Director