How long do you think it takes to glance at a text message when you’re driving? One second? Two seconds? You’re not alone. Most drivers believe that texting and driving creates only a momentary distraction. Wrong. Really wrong. And now, Lexus and agency Team One, are out to prove them wrong.
April is national Distracted Driving Awareness Month, established by the National Safety Council (NSC) more than 10 years ago. It’s a good time to regroup and reconsider the choices we make when we’re on the road. Distracted driving is dangerous, claiming 3,142 lives in 2019 (the most recent available data) according to NHTSA. Texting is the most alarming distraction.
At 55 mph, taking your eyes off the road for 4.6 seconds is like driving the length of an entire football field with your eyes closed.
In the new video called “Driving Disrupted,” released on 4.6, Lexus demonstrates exactly what happens when drivers can no longer see the road for 4.6 seconds. Participants get behind the wheel of a Lexus NX on a closed course, thinking they’re taking the vehicle for a routine test drive.
What they don’t know is that they’re not driving an ordinary NX. They’re driving a one-of-a-kind specially modified vehicle called the NX 4.6. It’s equipped with electrochromic technology that turns the windshield and windows from transparent to opaque instantaneously, completely obscuring the driver’s view for 4.6 seconds. Watch below:
“Lexus wants to bring awareness to safety behind the wheel by changing perceptions about texting and driving,” said Vinay Shahani, vice president of Lexus marketing. “Even the most advanced safety systems on the road today can’t replace the undivided attention of the driver.”
It’s a f*cked up road test. But it’s more f*cked up to text and drive. Well done, Team One.
AGENCY: Team One
- Chief Creative Officer: Chris Graves
- Executive Creative Director: Craig Crawford
- Associate Creative Director: Charlie Stephenson
- Art Director: Steve Hanlon
- Group Creative Director, Web: Jon Ruppel
- Creative Director, Web: Jason Lockyer
- Art Director, Web: Adrian Luna
- Account Director: Ben Allison
- Account Supervisor: Rachel DeLesk
- Account Director, Social: Robin Watkins
- Account Supervisor, Social: Colleen Carlsen
- Account Supervisor, Social: Melanie Guthrie
- Account Executive, Web: Ryan Cohen
- Media Director: Scott Thornton
- Associate Media Director: Stacey Cho
- Program Manager: Laura Schluckebier
- Project Manager: David Hefferly
- Associate Producer: Robert Holeman
- Producer, Digital: Danielle Wright
- Producer, Web: Christi Betz
- Producer, Post Production: Cody Pittard
- Director, Business Affairs: David Peake
- Associate Director, Business Affairs: Janet Anderson