With the Super Bowl coming fast and furious this weekend most brands, some have taken a pause due to Kobe Bryant’s tragic death, are rolling out their teasers and spots to showcase the $5.6 million they have paid for a :30-second slot. Now Michelob ULTRA and agency FCB New York are presenting theirs featuring Tonight Show host, Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, Usain Bolt, Brooks Koepka and John Cena.
The new 60-second spot shows Fallon as he learns that fitness can in fact be fun with the help of friends like John Cena, The Roots, Usain Bolt, Brooks Koepka, Kerri Walsh Jennings and Brooke Sweat.
Titled ‘Jimmy Works It Out’, the new ad was directed by Traktor and highlights the brand’s belief that all the hard work you put in at the gym, on the track, in the studio or wherever you spend your time being active is only worth it if you enjoy it – especially when you can cheers with a refreshing and great tasting Michelob ULTRA afterwards.
In the commercial, viewers will see Fallon embark on a series of inherently fun workouts with professional wrestler and actor Cena, all of which are followed by a round of light, refreshing Michelob ULTRAs. With only 95 calories and 2.6 carbs, Michelob ULTRA is the perfect beer with which to celebrate your hard work in the gym, on the court and beyond, the ad asserts.
“For this commercial, Michelob ULTRA was looking to cast someone who hates working out and loves drinking beer,” said Fallon. “Luckily for me, when you Google that my name is the first thing that pops up.” Watch below:
“Michelob ULTRA has always celebrated the active, balanced lifestyles of our drinkers and this year we’re showing people like Jimmy — those who may think fitness is a chore — that they don’t have to sacrifice fun to live an active lifestyle,” said Azania Andrews, vice president of marketing at Michelob ULTRA. “In our new campaign, people will see that working hard and enjoying themselves don’t have to be at odds with each other. We’re excited to use the Super Bowl stage to let viewers know that you can have your beer and drink it too.”
‘Jimmy Works It Out’ is a part of Michelob ULTRA’s brand campaign ‘Do It For The Cheers’, a fully-integrated campaign celebrating the important role enjoyment plays in active consumers’ day-to-day lives.
“There are a lot of people out there that, like Jimmy says, feel ‘working out suuuucks.’ Michelob ULTRA is all about bringing fitness and enjoyment together, so we paired Jimmy with a cast of admired athletes and friends in one epic workout,” added Gabriel Schmitt, FCB New York executive creative director. “While his journey is pretty unique, everyone can enjoy the same great cheers after a good workout that only Michelob ULTRA can deliver.”
The campaign will come to life throughout 2020 as the brand continues to create new ways to bring fun to wellness, one of which will be signing 2,600 consumers to official Team ULTRA endorsement deals – just like the pros.
Team ULTRA will recognize and reward individuals, groups of friends, and local crews who are Pros at Enjoyment, providing beer, gear, and VIP access to events throughout the year.
This year marks the fifth consecutive Super Bowl appearance for Michelob ULTRA and is the most airtime the brand has had in the game to date. Last year, the beer ran a 45-second commercial for their newest “organic” beer starring Zoë Kravitz, introducing the masses to the internet trend called ASMR.
- U.S. CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER: Marcel Marcondes
- VP, MARKETING, MICHELOB ULTRA: Azania Andrews
- SENIOR DIRECTOR, MICHELOB ULTRA: Marcela Garcia
- DIRECTOR, MICHELOB ULTRA: Samantha Durrant
- DIRECTOR, PARTNERSHIPS: Joe Geoghegan
- DIRECTOR, MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS: Jennifer Goldsmith
AGENCY: FCB New York
- EVP, EXECUTIVE CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Gabriel Schmitt
- GLOBAL CREATIVE PARTNER: Fred Levron
- EXECUTIVE CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Ecole Weinstein
- CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Peter Carnavale
- ASSOCIATE CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Jason LaFlore
- ASSOCIATE CREATIVE DIRECTOR: Matt Turnier
- SR. COPYWRITER: Patrick French
- SR. ART DIRECTOR: Miles Jappa
- EVP, GROUP MANAGEMENT DIRECTOR: Antoniette Wico
- VP, MANAGEMENT DIRECTOR: Mike Giangreco
- ACCOUNT SUPERVISOR: Michael Fox
- DIRECTOR, PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Kristin Oberg
- CHIEF STRATEGY OFFICER: John Kenny
- SVP, DIRECTOR OF STRATEGIC PLANNING: Thomas Hehir
- VP, ANALYTICS DIRECTOR: Paul Bierzychudek
- SR. STRATEGIC PLANNER: Melissa Jackson
- EVP, MGMT DIRECTOR INTEGRATED PRODUCTION: Kerry Hill
- VP, DIRECTOR OF PRODUCTION: Joe Tipre
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Ximena Aguirre
- SR. PRODUCER: Sandra Sanchez
- SR. PRODUCTION BUSINESS MANAGER: Ellen Kuratnik
- TALENT MANAGER: Trish Gregor
- TRAFFIC MANAGER: Mary Beth Patton
PRODUCTION COMPANY: Stink Films USA
- DIRECTOR: Traktor
- MANAGING DIRECTOR: Jeff Baron
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Frank McGivern
- HEAD OF PRODUCTION: Nick Fuller
- DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY: Hoyte van Hoytema
- PRODUCER: Mark Walejko
- PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR: Ena Nic
- EDITOR: Jeff Ferruzo
- CUTTING ASSISTANT: Laurel Metzler
- PRODUCER: Fanny Cruz
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCER/PARTNER: Sila Soyer
- SR. EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Camila De Biaggi
- PRODUCER: Sally Wnek
COLOR: Nice shoes
- SENIOR COLORIST: Maria Carretero
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Tara Holmes
- PRODUCER: Serena Bove
SOUND DESIGN: Honey Mix
AUDIO ENGINEER: Eric Thompson
MEDIA: Dentsu / Vizeum
PR: 3PM / Weber Shandwick
SOURCE: FCB NY