This is how you do a Super Bowl spot. Mtn Dew Zero Sugar has released their Big Game offering starring Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston and Black-ish’s Tracie Ellis Ross. The :30-second spot, from TBWA\Chiat\Day New York kicks off an omni-channel marketing campaign that touts the tagline “As Good As the Original, Maybe Even Better,” and puts a twist on a scene from the classic Stanley Kubrick horror film, The Shining.
Audiences first saw a hint of the creative through a teaser posted on MTN DEW Instagram, with a fresh take on The Shining’s ominous typewriter scene.
Now you can watch Cranston as Jack Torrance, and Ross as his wife, Wendy Torrance in the MTN Dew Zero Sugar Super Bowl commercial directed by MJZ’s Todd Kuntz. Both actors brought their comedic persona to the ad, with the intent of bringing laughs to a scene that has terrorized audiences for decades. This modernized MTN Dew version of the story, further showcased how some things really can be as good as the original. Watch below:
“DEW launched a Zero Sugar product for the first time ever this January and we’re using our Super Bowl spot to tell fans it’s ‘As Good As the Original, Maybe Even Better.’ We partnered with two major Hollywood actors to help us tell that story on one of the world’s biggest stages,” said Erin Chin, Senior Director, Marketing, Mtn Dew. “We hope fans will enjoy the unexpected humor and fantastic casting of Tracee and Bryan.”
“Heeeere’s MTN DEW Zero!”
The 30-second ad was first revealed on Instagram by Ross.
Mtn Dew Zero Sugar’s Social presence
Surrounding the big game, Mtn Dew is bringing elements from the TV commercial to consumers through Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok.
On February 2, the brand will introduce an iconic character from the film to star in social content. Tony, Danny’s invisible friend who talks to him through his finger, will take center-stage in various Super Bowl commentary and conversations through Instagram stories.
Dew Nation and fans of The Shining will be able to follow along on social with the hashtags #MTNDEWZeroSugar and #TheShining.
Tony is not the only character from The Shining to make a special cameo, Mtn Dew-style. Meet: the twins (played by Cranston).
On Super Bowl Sunday, the brand will launch an augmented reality Snapchat filter allowing fans to superimpose themselves into the twins scene in the Dew commercial, which makes reference to the famed and creepy twins from The Shining. Fans across the nation can thrill their followers with the filter, which will launch and be available on game day and beyond.
Lastly, The Shining twins live on in popular culture as memes and Mtn Dew will tap into their notoriety with a TikTok initiative native to the platform. The #AsGoodAsTheOG Challenge will make creative use of the “twin” tool and dance challenge to rally TikTok-ers to participate.
The brand will also make a charitable contribution, matched by Bryan Cranston, to FilmAid, a 501C3 organization, that harnesses the power of film to inform, educate and inspire vulnerable communities.
This could very well end up being Reel 360’s favorite Super Bowl spot. We shall see.
AGENCY: TBWA\Chiat\Day New York
- Chris Beresford-Hill – CCO
- Amy Ferguson – ECD
- Julia Neumann – ECD
- Christopher Santaiti – SR. CW
- Ashley Veltre – ACD/AD
- Avi Steinbach- ACD/CW
- Alexander Holm – ACD/AD
- John Doris – Head of Production
- Amanda Revere – Executive Producer
- Jennifer Bilyk – Director of Business Affairs
- Nancy Reyes – President
- Bruna Bechelli – Business Lead
- Matthew Duerr – Business Director
- Allie Lightcap – Business Manager
- Chris Butler – Business Manager
- James Sowden – Chief Strategy Officer
- John Gibson – Executive Strategy Director
- Michael Obermeyer – Senior Strategist
- Alice Ryan – Director of Communications
- Asheden Hill – Communications Manager
- Josh Peterson – Associate CW
- Lauren Piccirillo – Associate AD
- Tom Hyde – Executive Strategy Director, Digital and Social
- Lesley Parks – Strategy Director, Digital and Social
- Bodi Karsono – Senior Strategist, Digital and Social
- Jen Vladimirsky – Digital Executive Producer
- Steven Kreuch – Senior Producer
PRODUCTION COMPANY: MJZ
- Tom Kuntz – Director
- Eriks Krumins – Executive Producer
- Emily Skinner – Line Producer
- Jason Macdonald – Editor Nick Schneider – Editor
- Corinna Dennison – Ex. Producer
- Laura Molinaro – Producer
- Max Redinger – Asst. Editor
- Tim Massick – Colorist
- Plush – Audio Mix
- Rob Fielak – Audio Engineer
- Doug Luka – VFX Supervisor
- Graham Dunglinson – Ex. Producer
- Kristin Engdahl – VFX Producer
- Randie Swanberg – Ex. Creative Director
- Joey Deady – Lead VFX Artist
MUSIC: Found Objects
- Jay Wadley & Trevor Gureckis – ECDs
- Ben Marshall – Composer
- Adam Weiss – Junior Composer
- Jennie Armon – Executive Producer
- Matt Nelson – Head of Production
- Nick Chomowicz – Producer
- Agatha Lee – Music Coordinator