Heard of Camera Eats First? It’s a phrase used to describe the popular social media trend of taking a photo of your food before taking a bite, so you can post your beautiful Instagram-worthy meal on social media for everyone to see. In fact, the hashtag #CameraEatsFirst has over 284,000 posts on Instagram alone.
But Popeyes and their agency GUT Miami noticed a common trend when scrolling through user-generated photos of its legendary chicken sandwich on Instagram… Many photos of The Sandwich featured a single bite taken out of them. In other words, when your chicken sandwich is as delicious as Popeyes, the “Camera Eats First” rule goes out the window.
In a new out-of-home campaign, Popeyes is showcasing real, untouched user-generated photos of The Sandwich found on social media with a bite taken out of it.
The campaign, which launched on April 13th and runs through April 18th in Times Square, proves that nobody can resist taking the first bite of The Sandwich, not even for the “‘gram.”
RELATED: Jim Beam, Museum of Graffiti sponsor Street Heroines
While the product itself defies the “Camera Eats First” trend, the campaign, created by GUT Miami, intends to defy the trends of QSR advertising, which typically showcases “perfect,” retouched photos of food that are far off from the reality.
The only logos in the ads are featured on the product’s packaging, and each user’s Instagram handle is prominently displayed.
- Paloma Azulay: Global Chief Brand Officer
- Bruno Cardinali: Chief Marketing Officer, PLK US
- Patricia Pieranti: Head of Brand Communications & Media, PLK US
- Jean Paul Ciaramella: Media Lead, PLK US
- Andrea Dufford: Sr. Manager, PLK Brand Communications
- Morgan Wilkinson: Sr.Manager, PLK Brand Communications
- Daniela Chamorro: Manager, PLK Brand Communications
- Emily Ciantra: Sr. Manager, PLK Public Relations
- Anselmo Ramos – Founder, Creative Chairman
- Ricardo Casal ECD – Partner
- Juan Javier Peña ECD – Partner
- Guido Fusetti – Head of Art
- Dean Paradise – Creative Director
- Bruno Mazzotti – Creative Director
- Jeff Schermer – Senior Copywriter
- Jose Ramirez – Senior Art Director
- Cristina Moses – Creative Manager
- Junia Parodi – Creative ManagerAccount Management
- Carmen Rodriguez – Chief Client Officer, Partner
- Aileen Echenique – Account Director
- Jamal Smith – Account SupervisorSocial
- Daniel Zhang – Jr. Art Director
- Christopher Vena – Jr. Copywriter
- Nefari Steele – Community Manager
- Christopher Williams – Community ManagerProduction
- Renata Neumann – Head of Production
- Ale Marie Odriozola – Senior Producer