After suffering a “major stroke” last week, 51-year-old director John Singleton is said to be in a coma.
Multiple outlets are reporting that the Boyz n the Hood director’s condition was revealed in a court filing Thursday from his mother, Shelia Ward. She is requesting that she be appointed his temporary conservator to make medical and financial decisions for him.
According to court documents, Singleton suffered the stroke eight days ago. His family had previously announced that he had a stroke on April 17, but there had been no details revealed about the seriousness of his condition.
People Magazine obtained a statement from the family that says, “On Wednesday, April 17th our beloved son/father, John Singleton, suffered a stroke while at the hospital. John is currently in the ICU and under great medical care… We ask that privacy be given to him and our family at this time and appreciate all of the prayers that have been pouring in from his fans, friends and colleagues.”
ALSO READ: 7,000 WGA members fire their agents
In 1992, Singleton became the youngest person, and the first African American, to ever be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director. He was nominated for his work directing classic Boyz n the Hood.
He also directed, wrote and produced Poetic Justice (1993) and Shaft (2000). He went on to direct 2 Fast 2 Furious in 2003.
It’s not clear whether the temporary conservatorship has been granted.