When you change the iconic color of your bottle like Sprite, you hire the best colorist. I know this because I just worked with Apache on my short film, Storage. They are wonderful. Shout out to Jennifer Gaida!
Anyway, I digress. For this Reel Ad of the Week, Apache’s Quinn Alvarez worked on the new Sprite campaign created by Atlanta-based agency, Majority. Featuring NBA stars Trae Young of the Atlanta Hawks and Anthony Edwards of the Minnesota Timberwolves the spot introduces the world to their Sprite crystal clear bottle.
Switching from green to clear made Sprite’s bottles a bit different, and arguably better, kind of green – the clear plastic is easier to recycle. The bottle may be different, but it’s still the same Sprite you love. Watch below and enjoy the performances directed by Smuggler’s Tony Yacenda and the color grading.:
“Taking colors out of bottles improves the quality of the recycled material,” said Julian Ochoa, CEO, R3CYCLE, which is working with Coca-Cola Consolidated to enable bottle-to-bottle recycling across the largest U.S. bottler’s 14 state-territory. “This transition will help increase availability of food-grade rPET. When recycled, clear PET Sprite bottles can be remade into bottles, helping drive a circular economy for plastic.”
Sprite, meanwhile, is shifting all of the plastic PET packaging from its signature green color to clear. Although green PET is recyclable, the recycled material is more often converted into single-use items like clothing and carpeting that cannot be recycled into new PET bottles. During the sorting process, green and other colored PET is separated from clear material to avoid discoloring recycled food-grade packaging required to make new PET bottles.
In addition to transitioning to clear bottles, Sprite is introducing a new visual identity system featuring a revamped logo and packaging design to provide a consistent look and voice around the world. Sprite’s packaging graphics will retain the brand’s recognizable green hue and include prominent “Recycle Me” messaging.
The spot is quick-hitting and visually surreal. And the color grading by Apache is phenomenal. In other words, the Sprite bottle is recycled. The spot is original.
- Senior Manager Creative: Atira Rochester
- Creative Director: A.P. Chaney
- Producer: Rebecca Smith
- Creative Manager, Sparkling Flavors: Chris Keyes
- Director Global Marketing Procurement, Assets & Partnerships: Melissa Altman
- Brand Director: Terika Fasakin
- Founder + Ceo: Omid Farhang
- Founding Partner + Cmo: Jorge Hernandez
- Associate Creative Director: Micöl Rankin
- Associate Creative Director: Nico Giarrano
- Producer: Christine Presto
- Associate Account Director: Snigdha Villasencio
PRODUCTION COMPANY: Smuggler
- Director: Tony Yacenda
- Executive Producer: Sue Yeon Ahn
- Head Of Production: Alex Hughes
- Producer: Rachel Perkins
POST PRODUCTION: Cosmo Street
- Editor: Justin Trovato
- Assistant Editor: Chris Rentie
- Cosmo Street Producer: Erica Headley
- Cosmo Street Head of Production: Marie Mangahas
- Cosmo Street Executive Producer / Managing Partner: Yvette Cobarrubias
COLOR: Apache Digital
- Digital Intermediate Colorist: Quinn Alvarez
- Color Assistants: Kevin Sian & Angie Batz
- Apache Senior Producer: Christina Caldwell
- Apache Head of Production: Stefanie Schaldenbrand
- Apache Executive Producer: LaRue Anderson
VFX: Dan Karp
SOUND: Beacon Street Studios
Sound: Leslie Dilullo