Netflix announced Joseph Gordon-Levitt (The Trial of the Chicago 7, Looper) and Taylour Paige (Zola, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom) will star alongside Eddie Murphy in the long-awaited Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley. The third sequel to the 1984 blockbuster will also feature the return of original cast, Judge Reinhard, John Ashton and Paul Reiser (Stranger Things).
The logline is being kept under wraps, but we know Murphy’s Axel Foley returns to LA to investigate corruption in the force after a colleague dies.
The fourth movie has been a long time in the making, partly due to it moving from distributor to distributor, but also due to Murphy insisting that the script be good enough.
“As soon as the script comes together, I’m doing the movie – but I’m not doing it until the script is right,” he said just last year to digital spy. “Right now, there’s a piece of a script but that’s it. But we’ve been trying to do Beverly Hills Cop 4 for over 10 years and this is the closest we’ve got to it.
“We have directors who are smart and ready to go – and we have great ideas. It also looks like we’ve got the original producer who produced the original Beverly Hills Cop – Jerry Bruckheimer – involved again too.”
Mark Molloy will direct the Netflix film which is now in production.
- Cast: Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, Joseph Gordon-Leavitt, John Ashton, Paul Reiser, Taylour Paige
- Director: Mark Molloy
- Writer: Will Beall (Zack Snyder’s Justice League, Aquaman, Gangster Squad)
- Producers: Jerry Bruckheimer, Chad Oman for Jerry Bruckheimer Films; Eddie Murphy
- Executive Producers: Charisse Hewitt-Webster; Ray Angelic
- Co-Producer: Melissa Reid for Jerry Bruckheimer Films