After a wildly successful launch last year, ESPN tasked Sausalito-based creative agency partner Butler, Shine, Stern & Partners (BSSP) with expanding the “One App, One Tap” campaign and the team ended up developing a brand-new spot for the U.S.’s #1 sports app.
“After the successful debut of our initial ‘One App, One Tap’ creative last November, we wanted to revamp it to reach even more sports fans,” said Seth Ader, VP of Brand Marketing, ESPN. “Latin pop music is more popular than ever and connects across demographics, including the vast array of Latinx sports fans. This made a collaboration with Domino Saints a perfect way to solidify the ESPN App creative as the gateway to everything ESPN has to offer.”
Similar to last year’s creative which featured rising artist Chika, this spot highlights the modern content, functionality and personality of the ESPN App, aiming to attract more active users.
It covers a lot of ground including various sports, animation treatments and a long list of recognizable individuals, from famed ESPN personalities to athletes. Conor McGregor, Coco Gauff, Donovan Mitchell, Ronald Acuna Jr, Lionel Messi and Las Vegas Aces A’ja Wilson appear throughout the spot alongside ESPN personality Stephen A. Smith, reinforcing how the ESPN App is the only place for fans to access the best sports content across streaming, audio, social, and more.
Miami-based Domino Saints deliver the bilingual vocals that show off everything the ESPN App offers, from live scores on your favorite games to its “connect to TV” function. This collaboration builds on their established connection to the sports world; the duo was selected for the EA SPORTS FIFA 21 soundtrack with their song BUYA, and, most recently, announced a track developed for this year’s Copa America. Watch below:
“We are thrilled to be building on the success of the previous ESPN App work creating a fresh, equally amped 2.0 version. The new work reflects the breadth, depth and sheer excitement one experiences when visiting the world’s number one destination for all things sports,” said Sinan Dagli, Group Creative Director at BSSP.
“Music, arts and sports are how we express our emotions and our passions, how we inspire each other, and most importantly how we can bring people together, which is why we are super excited to team up with ESPN and make a bilingual sports jam for “One App, One Tap” campaign,” adds David Leal and Giselle Ojeda of Domino Saints. “ESPN has been such a big part of our lives since we were kids, always bringing the best highlights and the excitement of every game, so getting to sing all the names of these huge sports stars and being part of it all feels like heaven.”
This campaign launches amid a strong year of growth and leadership for ESPN’s digital properties. According to comScore, thus far in 2021 (through April), the ESPN App leads over its next closest competing app in average unique visitors and minutes per month by 238 percent and 186 percent, respectively.
ESPN is also enjoying its best streaming year on record. With a year away from live action sports, ESPN has been proving it can produce the same level of in-depth sports coverage through a mobile platform, and wanted this new spot to tout that as well.
The new spot will run on national broadcast, online video, display, social and streaming audio on both Disney owned and additional paid properties.
- Laura Gentile: EVP Commercial Marketing Networks & ESPN
- Seth Ader: Vice President, Brand Marketing
- Claude Mitchell: Coordinating Director, Music
- Peter Mulally: Director, Brand Marketing
- Stacey Pressman: Director, Talent Production
- Kevin Wilson: Music Director
- John Lobo: Manager, Brand Marketing
- Spencer Shaev: Associate Manager, Brand Marketing
- Brian Nasti: Writer/Producer, Grande & Leonard
- Zuriel Loving: Talent Producer
AGENCY: Butler, Shine, Stern & Partners
- Sinan Dagli : Group Creative Director
- Kelly Bernard : Art Director
- Rodd Naimi : Copywriter
- Jake Bayham : Head of Strategy
- Nicole Schofield : Executive Producer
- Liz Corsini: Head of Production
- AJ Marino : Account Director
- Patrick Kiss : President
PRODUCTION COMPANY: 1stAveMachine Buenos Aires
- Director – Diego Berakha
- Managing Director – Lautaro Brunatti
- Executive Producer – Sabrina Elizondo
- Post Producer – Toby Rubin-Sowers
- Production Coordinator – Eva Amuchastegui
- Editor – Mauro Caporossi
- Designers- Nahuel Rollan, Juan Barabani, Eloy Krioka
- Cel animation – Lucia Vidal, Agustina Ghibaudi, Patrikius Rex
- 2D animation – Leandro Feuz, Cyril Izarn
- Clean up / Comp – Humberto Paytuvi
- Roto – Boss VFX