Despite more and more brands leaning into values-driven marketing to address today’s most pressing cultural issues – the COVID-19 pandemic and the public service messages surrounding it continue to be a grey area for most. Not for Blue Shield of California (BSC).
Over the last year, the brand has tackled the most pressing topics gripping its community – from the plight of frontline workers and the mask debate to the inequality facing women. Now, the brand has turned its attention to the COVID-19 vaccine.
As one of the largest U.S. states, California is in the headlines nearly every day about how it’s handling the vaccine rollout. BSC’s newest commercial aims to change the tone of that conversation and combat some of the misinformation surrounding COVID-19, spotlighting the stories of why people should get the vaccine.
“Get It For,” developed in collaboration with agency partner Butler Shine Stern & Partners (BSSP), centers on optimism and hope. It’s an appeal to the broader human emotions that are inherently more difficult to deny.
It appeals to the universal longing to return to normal – get it for hugs, birthdays, concerts, family photos, for holding hands, the spot says. Watch below:
As a healthcare company, Blue Shield believes in the importance of getting the Covid-19 vaccine as a public health imperative. In today’s cultural climate, vaccine leadership also requires awareness, education, and encouragement, to inspire the collective action necessary to overcome this public health crisis,” said Jake Bayham, Head of Strategy at BSSP.
English and Spanish versions of this new spot started rolling out in February – airing on TV across major broadcast and cable stations throughout CA.
CLIENT: Blue Shield of California
- Blair McGrain – VP, Brand & Customer Acquisition
- Suzanne Buffington – Sr. Director, Advertising, Sponsorships & Medi-Cal
- Betsy Bellotti – Senior Brand Strategist
- John Butler – CCO / CO-CHAIRMAN
- Sinan Dagli- Group Creative Director
- Chris Cummings- Chief Strategy Officer
- Jake Bayham – Head of Strategy Kelly Bernard- Art Director
- Rodd Naimi – Copywriter
- Vince Genovese – Exec. Director Integrated Production
- Grace Lazarus – Sr. Integrated Producer
- Diana Gonzalez Cash – Group Account Director
- Megan Siewert – Account Executive
POST PRODUCTION: 1606
- Brian Lagerhausen – Editor / Partner
- Jon Ettinger – EP / Partner
MUSIC: Barking Owl
- KC Dossett – Producer
- Barking Owl – Composer
- Kelly Bayett – Creative Director