Eight high-scoring entries in The One Show 202 have been named finalists for the prestigious One Show CMO Pencil award, honoring the marketer behind the work that had the most impact on a brand’s business from the past year.
The honor is unique for The One Show in that all of its other awards are given to agency or brand creative teams, whereas the CMO Pencil is presented to the individual at the brand responsible for recognizing and shepherding great work to life.
Finalists for this year’s are:
- AB InBev Michelob ULTRA for “Save it See it” by GUT São Paulo
- Dole Sunshine Company and Ananas Anam for “Piñatex” by L&C New York
- Google for “Black-Owned Friday” by BBH USA New York
- Google for “Real Tone” (in house)
- Heineken for “Shutter Ads” by Publicis Italy Milan
- House of Lapland for “Salla 2032” by Africa São Paulo
- Unilever for “Degree Inclusive” by Wunderman Thompson Argentina Buenos Aires
- Walmart for “Bedtime Stories” by FCB Chicago
Judging the finalists will be a jury of leading brand-side marketers:
- Kofi Amoo-Gottfried, CMO, DoorDash
- Peggy Ang, CMO, SVP of Marketing, LG Electronics
- Bruno Cardinali, former CMO, Popeye’s
- Rankin Carroll, Chief Brand & Content Officer, Mars Wrigley
- Morgan Flatley, Global CMO, McDonald’s
- Jessica Klodnicki, CMO, Skullcandy
- Fernando Machado, CMO, Activision
- Kenny Mitchell, CMO, Snap
- David Rubin, CMO, The New York Times
- Michelle St. Jacques, CMO, Molson Coors
- Doug Scott, CMO, EVP, International, Twitch
- Deborah Wahl, Global CMO, General Motors
“These eight amazing pieces of work are among the highest-scoring entries in The One Show 2022,” said Kevin Swanepoel, CEO, The One Club. “We look forward to seeing who will be honored this year for the work that takes an innovative, bold stance, and has the greatest positive impact on a brand and its bottom line.”
The CMO Pencil is just one of the organization’s initiatives to address and celebrate the fast-growing brand-side creative community. For example, The One Show has a standalone Brand-Side discipline, with a dedicated jury of brand-side agency peers to judge the work.
The jury will review the finalists and select the CMO responsible for the one piece of work they feel had the greatest impact on moving a brand forward. The winner will be presented with the award on stage at The One Show awards ceremony, taking place at the conclusion of Creative Week 2022 on May 20 at Cipriani Wall Street in New York.
Past winners are Raja Rajamannar, Chief Marketing & Communications Officer and President, Healthcare Business at Mastercard for “True Name”, created by McCann New York; Kathleen Hall, Chief Brand Officer, Microsoft for Xbox “Changing the Game” also by McCann New York; David Rubin at The New York Times for “Truth is Worth It” from Droga5 New York, and Stephen Tisdale, CMO, State Street Global Advisors for “Fearless Girl”, by McCann New York.