In a 60-second ad set to debut during the Super Bowl, Kia America showcases the groundbreaking 2024 Kia EV9, the first mass-market three-row EV SUV in the United States.
This innovative vehicle serves as the focal point of Kia’s 15th creative marketing campaign, highlighting the inherent power within us all and our capacity to uplift others.
Set against the backdrop of Cat Power and Coldplay’s collaborative track Wish I Was Here, the commercial portrays a determined young figure skater completing her program, only to notice an empty seat beside her father in the stands.
Moved by his daughter’s disappointment, the father embarks on a spontaneous journey through the snow-covered woods to a secluded cabin and frozen pond. Utilizing the EV9’s Vehicle to Load (V2L) capability, he transforms the tranquil setting into an enchanting outdoor rink, adorned with twinkling lights and amplified by a large speaker.
The heartwarming scene unfolds as the young skater delivers a flawless encore performance for her grandfather, who watches from the warmth of the cabin. Grab a Kleenex and watch below:
Russell Wager, Kia America’s vice president of marketing, describes the EV9 as “electric like you’ve never seen,” emphasizing the commercial’s message about the transformative power inherent in every individual.
Behind The Scenes
Crafted by our friends at David&Goliath, Kia’s creative agency, the production of the spot involved meticulous planning and creative talent.
The 10-year-old actress, Abigail, who portrayed the figure skater in the commercial, is a real figure skater from Toronto and attended a performing arts school. Surprisingly, Abigail didn’t know that the commercial would air during the Super Bowl until after filming. The casting process was extensive, spanning 26 cities across the United States and Canada to find the perfect young actress for the role.
To create the outdoor skating scene, the production team built a custom ice rink in the backyard of a house in Whistler, Canada, complete with a specialized cooling system to maintain the ice quality. Abigail’s skating routine was choreographed by Elizabeth Putnam, a former pro skater and two-time Canadian national bronze medalist, ensuring authenticity and elegance.
Nicolas Karakatsanis, known for his work on I, Tonya, served as the Director of Photography, capturing visually compelling scenes for the commercial. These behind-the-scenes details showcase the dedication and creativity involved in bringing the Kia EV9 Super Bowl spot to life, enhancing the viewing experience for audiences.
The campaign extends beyond the Super Bowl spot to include 30-second, 15-second, and 6-second cutdowns of the original 60-second ad. Additionally, the campaign encompasses digital, print, and social media components to amplify its reach and engagement.
Super Bowl LVIII will be played at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada on Sunday, February 11, 2024. It will be broadcast on CBS and streamed on Paramount+ and Nickelodeon. Usher will perform at halftime.
BRAND: Kia America
- David Angelo Founder & Creative Chairman
- Ben Purcell Chief Creative Officer
- Avital Pinchevsky Executive Creative Director
- Robert Casillas Executive Creative Director
- Courtney Pulver Executive Creative Director
- Mike Czako Group Creative Director
- John O’Hea Group Creative Director
- Michael Molinaro ECD Design Director
- Ben Sweitzer Creative Director
- Sammy Glicker Creative Director
- Carter Waldron Art Director
- Ashtyn Livingston Copywriter
- Kevin DeStefan Group Strategy Director
- Kelly Slater Associate Strategy Director
- Kelsey Hilner Strategist
- Hayden Lam Data & Marketing Analyst
- Jeff Cannata Group Communications Strategy Director
- Emma Merber Associate Communications Director
- Paul Albanese Managing Director, Broadcast Production
- Christopher Coleman Group Executive Producer
- Curt O’Brien Executive Producer
- Ashley Asherian Associate Producer
- Quynh-An Phan Director of Business Affairs
- Kristina Van Associate Business Affairs Manager
- Jermelia Holling Associate Traffic Director
- Allison Draskovich Group Account Director
- Jamie Friedman Sr. Account Director
- Brittni Ortega Account Supervisor
- Madison Herzog Account Supervisor
- Connor Heffernan Account Executive
- Ellena Whitfield Account Coordinator
- Mark McNaul Senior Product Information Manager
- Travis Ray Senior Product Information Manager
- Amy Chiang Director, Project Management
- Jon Cindric Senior Project Management
- Natalie Chaparyan Project Coordinator
- Peter Bassett Managing Director, Integrated Production & Technology Services
- Michael Van Pelt Senior Digital Producer
- Elisa Atwood Executive Print Producer
PRODUCTION COMPANY: Serial Pictures
- John Hillcoat Director
- Violaine Etienne Founding Partner / EP
- Sara Greco Executive Producer
- JP Colombo HOP / EP
- Jessica Cooper Producer
- Robert Williamson Production Supervisor
- Chris Kennedy Production Designer
- Guy Forgaard 1st AD
- Nicolas Karakatsanis Director of Photography
- Dana Morris Steadicam Operator
- Jon Voz Director’s Assistant
PRODUCTION COMPANY SERVICES: The Capital Media Co. (Canada)
- Christian Allen Executive Producer/Managing Partner
- Keely Stothers HOP/Partner
- Tai Scott Line Producer
- Damion Clayton Editor (through RPS)
- Jobe Lowen Assistant Editor (through RPS)
- Adam Bright Managing Director/Editor
- Jonathan Carpio Executive Producer
- Cristy Torres Senior Producer
VFX : JAMM
- Asher Edwards Executive Producer
- Alex Snookes VFX Supervisor
- Scott Boyajan Producer
- Zak DiMaria CG Supervisor
- Mark Gethin Colorist
- Karena Ajamian Executive Producer
- Robert Owens Managing Partner
MUSIC: “Wish I Was Here” by Cat Power and Coldplay, Released in 2014
MUSIC EDIT: Model Citizen Creative
Rory Doggett Creative Director/Owner
SOUND DESIGN: Barking Owl
- Gus Koven Sound Designer
- Kelly Bayett Founder/Creative Director
- KC Dossett Executive Producer
AUDIO SERVICES: Racket Club
- Nathan Dubin Mixer
- Adrea Lavezzoli Executive Producer
For all of Reel 360 News’ Super Bowl coverage, click here.